by
I have friends, a married couple, who desperately love to compete.
When they play Scrabble, it gets downright scary -- and a teeny bit
vicious. They're always lunging for the dictionary, challenging each
other's every word. And if one of them gets a high word score? You
should see the in-your-face happy dance that ensues.
When you're in a relationship, it's a good idea to let go of the "me"
and embrace the "we." That's the best way to have harmony at home,
experts say. Once you stop seeing your partner as your opponent, you'll
fight less -- and life will be a lot more copacetic. In fact, couples
who cooperate with each other and work at solving problems together --
kind of like teammates -- are more likely to stay married, according to a
recent study by UCLA researchers.
Do you feel like you're constantly on the defensive when you interact
with your partner, desperate to stand your ground, exert your will and
"win" -- whatever the topic? See if these excuses sound familiar...
But... I'm right and my partner's wrong.
There's
always more than one point of view on a problem or a situation, says
marriage and family therapist Rita DeMaria, Ph.D., author of The 7 Stages of Marriage.
In other words, you and your partner are each entitled to your own
opinion. "[It] doesn't make either of you wrong," says DeMaria. "The
question is, how do you come to a more shared perspective?" Take turns
talking, so you can air both sides.
But... I'll lose who I am as a person if I cave to my partner. Pshaw. You'll actually become stronger, says Thomas Bradbury, Ph.D., codirector of UCLA's Relationship Institute and the author of Love Me Slender: How Smart Couples Team Up to Lose Weight, Exercise More and Stay Healthy Together.
"Who you are isn’t going to change [if you compromise]," Bradbury says.
"You'll just be able to participate in a relationship in a different
way."
But... if I give in, I'll never get what I want. Have
you tried having a grown-up conversation about what you want, instead
of pouting about it -- or getting defensive? Having an "I want what I
want when I want it," attitude isn't exactly relationship-enhancing. "It
takes a level of emotional maturity to communicate clearly about what
we want," Bradbury observes. Give it a try!
But... I hate to give in. We hear you. But it's time
to -- how can we put this gently? -- get over it. "The give and take is
part of being an adult," says Bradbury. "It can't be take, take, take
all the time. That's an understandable reaction, but in a complex world
it's not one that's going to hold up well in the long haul." So: Don't
fight just for the sake of winning.
But... it's fun to compete! Then take up tennis. Or
rock climbing. Or ping-pong. Or play Monopoly. In other words, find an
activity that allows you and your partner to have some healthy
competition once in a while (just not all the time). "Find a way to turn
competition into a fun, playful empowering activity," suggests DeMaria.
When you and your partner team up -- for Scrabble or for life --
you'll find you can be unstoppable. "Peyton Manning seems to be doing
OK," Bradbury points out. "Even though he's part of a team, he's his own
man."
No comments:
Post a Comment